GeneSeek Hair Card
Instructions for Hair Sample Collection from Cattle
Hair samples should be collected and placed in the GeneSeek sample collection device.
1. Hair samples should be collected from the tail switch (end of tail) of a restrained animal. The hair follicles found at the tail switch region are ideal for DNA extraction.
2. Clean the tail area using a comb or brush so as to remove any extraneous matter such as manure or straw. Sometimes it may be necessary to wash the hair prior to collection.
3. Check that the ID written on the collection device perfectly matches the ID of the animal
4. Grasp a clump of hair (as thick as a ball point pen) using your hand or a pair of pliers. Pull the hair samples out with a sudden movement so as to get a clean tuft of hair with follicles. The hair follicles are found at the end of the hair that is embedded in the tissue.
5. Examine the hair closely. Make sure the hair follicles are present on 20 to 40 strands. Note that DNA is found only in the hair follicles and not in the hair itself. If sufficient follicles are not available, make a second attempt at pulling hair.
6. Place pulled hair in the GeneSeek hair collection device (see instructions that come with the device).
7. Carefully trim excess hair from the sides of the collector using a pair of sharp scissors.
8. Place hair sample collection device in resealable plastic bag for shipping to SEK Genetics.
Since it appears that THC & PHAC bulls have better type, TH & PHA may be here to stay (for show cattle). SEK’s genetic testing allows me easily & affordably avoid crossing 2 carriers.
I had some questions that were quickly answered and cards arrived in just a few days, even with a printed testing sheet. Thanks for great service as always!
Received the cards. Easy axcess to place the hair samples. Fill out the info on the front, You're done. Done in less than 5 minutes per card. We'll do it again. Thanks
Exactly what we ordered. These are the best tail cards on the market. Super easy to use, sticky part is crack and peel for quick access. Card holds hair well, and doesn't allow it to fall out, like some other brands. VERY quick shipment. Will order again when we need more. THANK YOU